How to Create a Drip Campaign
What are Drip Campaigns?
Drip campaigns allow you to create a series of messages that are sent on a schedule you set. You can separate messages by minutes, days, or even months. There are lots of ways to leverage drip campaigns – run a weeklong promotional campaign with daily messages, follow up with customers after a purchase, and much more.
Set up a Drip Campaign
Drip campaigns can only be created on desktop and tablets.
- Click on Automations in the left navigation to show a drop down menu
- Click Drips
- Click the blue + button at the top left of the screen
Step 1: Name your Drip Campaign
This will only be visible to you and those you share your campaign with, so pick a name that will help you remember what it does and how to use it.
Step 2: Select Service
Decide which services you want your messages to send from. Services include:
- Shout-to-Shout (S2S)
- Customer Service number
- Marketing number
Step 3: Create Trigger Words
Trigger words are what contacts will send to start the drip campaign. Your campaign will be listening for exact matches to your trigger word.
- Keep these simple! The incoming message needs to match exactly for the campaign to begin, so make it easy for your customers to get them right.
- You can have multiple trigger words by clicking Add Trigger Word. Delete those you don’t need with the Trash Can icon.
- Trigger words for bots and drip campaigns are not case sensitive, and if you have two of the same trigger word, it won't let you use the drip campaign (ex. VIP and vip).
- In order to fix this, delete all of the trigger words, save, and then add back one version of the trigger word (ex. vip).
Step 4: Add Actions
Actions can take place at any point in the campaign, including before the first message. An action can
- Add or remove a contact from a list
- Add or remove a tag from a contact
- Assign or unassign a channel from a contact
- Mute or unmute a conversation
- Auto-mark done to move the conversation out of your Inbox to the Done folder*
- Run a new bot, ending the current bot and starting a new one*
- Run a drip campaign
- Assign a recurring event
- End this bot*
* Not available at start of campaign
Step 5: Create Messages
Create the messages you want to include in your campaign. Choose how long Shout should wait to send after the previous message with the time selector.
- Send messages immediately by choosing 0 minutes in the time selector
- Name messages for easy internal reference in the campaign flow on the right side of your screen
- Reorder messages clicking on ••• and selecting Move Up or Move Down
- Delete a message clicking on ••• and selecting Remove Message
- Use the segment counter in each message to keep track of how many segments your bot will use
Review Drip Campaign Details
After you create a drip campaign, you can view information about its performance including a description, how many questions and segments it uses, who is in the middle of the campaign, and who has completed it.
- Click Drips from the left navigation
- Click a campaign to review
- Create a description of how and when you use the campaign to stay organized
2: Drip Status and Services
- Set the campaign to Active or Paused, and review which services are enabled
3: Tracking Bot Activity
- Contact in Progress – contacts that have started but not yet finished the campaign
- Contacts Finished – contacts have completed the campaign
- Individual Messages – queued messages shows who will receive this message next, sent shows who has already received it
4: Export Activity Report
- Click Export Results at the top of the screen to download a CSV file with more details about your contact’s interactions with the campaign
See how using Drip Campaigns helped save Kelsey's business here.