How to Create a Drip Campaign
What are Drip Campaigns?
Drip campaigns allow you to create a series of messages that are sent on a schedule you set. You can separate messages by minutes, days, or even months. There are lots of ways to leverage drip campaigns – run a weeklong promotional campaign with daily messages, follow up with customers after a purchase, and much more.
Set up a Drip Campaign
Drip campaigns can only be created on desktop and tablets.
- Click on Automations in the left navigation to show a drop down menu
- Click Drips
- Click the blue + button at the top left of the screen
Step 1: Name your Drip Campaign
This will only be visible to you and those you share your campaign with, so pick a name that will help you remember what it does and how to use it.
Step 2: Select Service
Decide which services you want your messages to send from. Services include:
- Shout-to-Shout (S2S)
- Customer Service number
- Marketing number
Step 3: Create Trigger Words
Trigger words are what contacts will send to start the drip campaign. Your campaign will be listening for exact matches to your trigger word.
- Keep these simple! The incoming message needs to match exactly for the campaign to begin, so make it easy for your customers to get them right.
- You can have multiple trigger words by clicking Add Trigger Word. Delete those you don’t need with the Trash Can icon.
Step 4: Add Actions
Actions can take place at any point in the campaign, including before the first message. An action can
- Add or remove a contact from a group
- Add or remove a tag from a contact
- Assign or unassign a channel from a contact
- Mute or unmute a conversation
- Auto-mark done to move the conversation out of your Inbox to the Done folder*
- Run a new bot, ending the current bot and starting a new one*
- Run a drip campaign
- Assign a recurring event
- End this bot*
* Not available at start of campaign
Step 5: Create Messages
Create the messages you want to include in your campaign. Choose how long Shout should wait to send after the previous message with the time selector.
- Send messages immediately by choosing 0 minutes in the time selector
- Name messages for easy internal reference in the campaign flow on the right side of your screen
- Reorder messages clicking on ••• and selecting Move Up or Move Down
- Delete a message clicking on ••• and selecting Remove Message
- Use the segment counter in each message to keep track of how many segments your bot will use
Review Drip Campaign Details
After you create a drip campaign, you can view information about its performance including a description, how many questions and segments it uses, who is in the middle of the campaign, and who has completed it.
- Click Drips from the left navigation
- Click a campaign to review
- Create a description of how and when you use the campaign to stay organized
2: Drip Status and Services
- Set the campaign to Active or Paused, and review which services are enabled
3: Tracking Bot Activity
- Contact in Progress – contacts that have started but not yet finished the campaign
- Contacts Finished – contacts have completed the campaign
- Individual Messages – queued messages shows who will receive this message next, sent shows who has already received it
4: Export Activity Report
- Click Export Results at the top of the screen to download a CSV file with more details about your contact’s interactions with the campaign
See how using Drip Campaigns helped save Kelsey's business here.